National problem gambling support charity GamCare will be joined by Parkinson’s UK to host a dedicated live online chatroom for anyone affected by problematic gambling associated with Parkinson’s medications. This hour-long chatroom will take place on Friday 19th May from 2pm.
Impulsive and compulsive behaviour, such a compulsion to gamble, is a possible side effect of taking some Parkinson’s drugs. While a relatively small number of people experience this, it can still have a significant impact on the person affected and those around them.
Robert Hingley from GamCare says: “Our chatrooms aim to encourage participants to ask questions, share experiences and discuss positive steps forward as well as offering support to the rest of the group. This chatroom will also give more information on the support services offered by both GamCare and Parkinson’s UK for people concerned about problematic gambling connected to their Parkinson’s medications.”
Timothy Moore from Parkinson’s UK says: “Impulsive and compulsive behaviours can be devastating for those affected and it's really important that people affected by this very serious issue know there’s help and support available.”
To participate in the chatroom, register as a GamCare Forum member at http://www.gamcare.org.uk/user/register and join at 2pm on Friday 19th May.
For more information visit www.gamcare.org.uk.
For more information or accompanying images please contact Catherine Sweet, Marketing and Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7801 7000.
Notes to editors:
GamCare – Working to minimise gambling-related harm
- GamCare is the leading national provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. Our expert services are confidential and non-judgemental.
- GamCare operates the National Gambling HelpLine on Freephone 0808 8020 133 or via web chat at www.gamcare.org.uk. Advisers are available 8am – Midnight, seven days a week.
- Moderated chatrooms are also open daily, and peer-to-peer support is available through the GamCare Forum. For more information on GamCare counselling services, visit www.gamcare.org.uk/free-counselling
Key facts about Parkinson’s/Parkinson’s UK:
- Parkinson’s can strike anyone, at any time. Every hour, someone in the UK is told they have Parkinson's.
- It affects 127,000 people in the UK - which is around one in 500 of the population.
- Parkinson's is a degenerative neurological condition, for which there currently is no cure. The main symptoms of the condition are tremor, slowness of movement and rigidity. Hallucinations, depression, pain, lack of sleep and nausea are less commonly known symptoms.
- Parkinson’s UK is the largest charitable funder of Parkinson's research in Europe and has so far invested more than £80million in ground breaking projects
- Parkinson's UK is the UK's leading charity supporting those with the condition. Its mission is to find a cure and improve life for everyone affected by Parkinson's through cutting edge research, information, support and campaigning.
For advice, information and support, visit www.parkinsons.org.uk or call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303.
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of GamCare, on Friday 28 April, 2017. For more information subscribe and follow https://pressat.co.uk/