National problem gambling support charity GamCare is relaunching their dedicated website to give young people the facts about gambling. The BigDeal.org.uk website provides information about gambling and what the risks are, as well as the difference between responsible gambling and problem gambling.
The site also includes a message board for young people to share their experiences and support one another, quizzes and video resources, as well as information about the support available for those affected by problem gambling if needed. Parents and teachers are also encouraged to use the resources provided to facilitate conversations about gambling and problem gambling with young people.
GamCare operates the National Gambling HelpLine as well as providing free treatment for those affected by problem gambling across Great Britain. The charity’s Youth Outreach Programme provides free workshops for young people and free training for professionals supporting young people across four areas, including London, Birmingham, Bristol and the North West of England.
Megan Pengelly, Youth Outreach Coordinator at GamCare, says: “We’re proud to have worked in consultation with more than 150 young people to build this new site, making it a friendly place to get information, advice and support about a vital subject which all-to-often goes undiscussed and unreported.
Exposure to gambling, particularly online, is increasing for young people. Having a space where they can get expert advice and make their voices heard is really important in supporting frontline education, prevention and support services.”
For more information visit www.BigDeal.org.uk.
For more information or accompanying images please contact Catherine Sweet, Marketing and Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7801 7000.
Notes to editors:
GamCare – Working to minimise gambling-related harm
- GamCare is the leading national provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. Our expert services are confidential and non-judgemental.
- GamCare operates the National Gambling HelpLine on Freephone 0808 8020 133 or via web chat at www.gamcare.org.uk. Advisers are available 8am – Midnight, seven days a week.
- Moderated chatrooms are also open daily, and peer-to-peer support is available through the GamCare Forum. For more information on GamCare counselling services, visit www.gamcare.org.uk/free-counselling
- GamCare’s Strategy for Young People is available at http://www.gamcare.org.uk/education-and-awareness/youth
- GamCare’s Youth Outreach Programme aims to:
- Enable young people to access honest, accurate and relevant information about gambling and problematic gambling;
- Enable young people to make informed choices about gambling;
- Ensure professionals are aware of the impacts, signs and symptoms of a gambling problem;
- Enable professionals to interact with young people sensitively about problem gambling;
- Ensure that young people and professionals know where to go for free, specialist help and support if they need it.
Free workshops for young people and free training for professionals is available in London, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of GamCare, on Monday 6 November, 2017. For more information subscribe and follow https://pressat.co.uk/