- Recycling scheme launches in over 2,000 Costa owned stores nationwide
- Costa also announces 25p off customer incentive each time customers uses a recyclable cup in store
- New reusable cups available in-store from April, 2017
In a bid to ensure cup recyclability stays centre stage in 2017, Costa is today officially launching its much anticipated nationwide cup recycling scheme – promising to recycle 'any cup'. Continuing to explore new ways of investing in and tackling recyclability, the UK's favourite coffee shop will launch a number of new initiatives in the first quarter of 2017.
Aiming to increase the number of takeaway cups recovered and recycled across the country, customers will be encouraged to partake in a new recycling scheme in stores now. The scheme, available in over 2,000 Costa stores nationwide*, aims to recover and guarantee the recycling of any paper takeaway cup – from Costa or any of its competitors.
Once deposited at a Costa store, the cups will be collected by Costa team members and stored in cup racks, back of house. Costa will then work alongside its waste partner, Veolia, to transport them to specialist waste processing plants. The scheme, which is the first of its kind amongst coffee shop retailers, follows a successful trial which took place across over 45 stores in London and Manchester, during 2016.
In addition to today's launch, Costa now offers 25p off a handcrafted hot or cold drink*** when using a reusable cup at Costa or franchised owned store.
Finally, Costa will introduce two new, multipurpose, reusable cups** (available to purchase in stores in April, 2017).
*Not currently including Ireland or the Channel Islands
**Costa Reusable Red Cup (£3) and Costa Foundation Travel Mug (£9.95) - £1 from every Costa Foundation Travel mug will be donated to the Costa Foundation. Products will be available from April in both equity and partner stores.
*** T&Cs; for 25p incentive
- 1.Costa will offer a discount of 25p on the price of any barista served drink purchased using a reusable cup in participating UK Costa stores (excluding Northern Ireland). For a full list of non-participating stores (which includes all Costa Proud to Serve Outlets) please see costa.co.uk/terms.
- 2.Offer excludes any pre-bottled beverage.
- 3.Costa Coffee Club members will receive Coffee Club points reflecting the discounted price of their purchase.
- 4.Only reusable cups that are clean, of an appropriate size for the purchased drink and with a secure lid will be accepted. The store manager's decision as to the acceptability of any cup will be final.
- 5.Costa reserves the right to amend or withdraw this offer at any time without prior notice.
For more information, please email Esme Knight, Communications Manager. Email:Esme.Knight@whitbread.com
Notes to editors
Costa is conducting independent research with Sheffield University to further investigate cup recyclability. Research results to be shared Q1/Q2
Costa is working in conjunction with several environmentally friendly packaging companies, including our long term partner Huhtamaki, as well as Delipac, Frugalpac and reCUP. We will shortly begin investigating manufacturing processes and test materials for a potential new takeaway cup. Research is currently limited to out of store testing only.
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of Pressat Wire, on Thursday 9 February, 2017. For more information subscribe and follow https://pressat.co.uk/