When Oscar-nominated Jewish film director, Paul Morrison (Solomon and Gaenor) was looking for actors to play the parts of an elderly Jewish couple in his latest venture, he never thought he’d cast a real husband and wife. At 93 and 84 respectively, Alfred and Leila Hoffman of Belsize Park are believed to be the oldest working couple in the UK.
The film, Sunrise, not Sunset, written by Debora Singer MBE, tells the story of an elderly Jewish couple who are heartbroken when the council allocates them to separate care homes. Then their daughter hits upon the Human Rights Act as the means to bring them back together.
Inspired by a true story, Debora wrote the screenplay to show that the Human Rights Act can benefit ordinary people in their ordinary lives.
Film premiere: Wednesday 7 November 2018, 7-9pm at René Cassin, 853 Finchley Road, London NW11 8LX
Hosted by: René Cassin – ‘the Jewish voice for human rights’ – www.renecassin.org
Followed by panel discussion:
The screening of Sunrise, not Sunset will be followed by a panel discussion on the ways in which the Human Rights Act has helped ordinary people, both within the Jewish community and beyond. With:
- Debora Singer MBE – writer of ‘Sunrise, not Sunset’
- Adam Wagner – human rights barrister and founder and chair of rightsinfo.org
- Dalia Fleming – Executive Director of Keshet UK
- Rabbi David Mason, Muswell Hill Synagogue
Tickets: free from http://www.renecassin.org/sunrise-not-sunset-celebrating-the-human-rights-act-at-20/
Attached: stills from the film, including Alfred and Leila Hoffman
- Debora Singer (Director of Sunrise, not Sunset) – for interview and further information re film, cast and production - 07981 283244 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mia Hasenson-Gross (Director of René Cassin) – for further information re event on 7 November, Human Rights Act and René Cassin’s work – 020 3621 5464 or email@example.com
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of René Cassin, on Tuesday 30 October, 2018. For more information subscribe and follow https://pressat.co.uk/